posted on March 24, 2010 21:13
MOBILE, Ala-- The University of Mobile topped rival Spring Hill 7-2 in Gulf Coast Athletic Conference men's tennis action Wednesday evening at Mobile.
The Rams (7-3, 4-3) next play April 9 at Tougaloo College at 4 pm, while Spring Hill (5-6, 2-5) visits Belhaven April 9 at 12. Mobile is a half game behind William Carey for 2nd place in the conference standings, while Spring Hill sits two games behind the Rams in 4th place. Mobile has won the two meetings between the schools by 8-1 and 7-2 scores this year.
Spring Hill grabbed a hard-fought 9-7 win at No. 1 doubles, but the Rams won No. 2 and No. 3 doubles by a combined 16-3 margin to take a 2-1 lead heading into singles play. Mobile then swept the top five singles matches before the Badgers grabbed a win at the No. 6 spot in the final contest of the day.
Ricky Weghorst, Guilherme Lorencon, Gustavo Godoi, Jesus Urmeneta and Saulo Litterio won in singles for Mobile, while Johnny Ngamvilay grabbed the Badgers' lone point in singles play.
1. Ricky Weghorst (UM) def. Michael Logan (SHC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Guilherme Lorencon (UM) def. Chris Link (SHC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Gustavo Godoi (UM) def. Burke DeFraites (SHC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Jesus Urmeneta (UM) def. Joshua Schultz (SHC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Saulo Litterio (UM) def. Jake Lyons (SHC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Johnny Ngamvilay (SHC) def. Billy Musgrove (UM) 6-2, 6-3
1. DeFraites/Link (SHC) def. Weghorst/Lorencon (UM) 9-7
2. Godoi/Urmeneta (UM) def. Logan/Schultz (SHC) 8-2
3. Litterio/Key (UM) def. Ngamvilay/Nick Rayburn (SHC) 8-1