posted on February 08, 2010 18:00
MOBILE, Ala-- Tuesday was a good day for the University of Mobile women's tennis team, as the Lady Rams took down NCAA III Tuskegee 7-2 at home and received a No. 19 ranking in the NAIA Women's Tennis Coaches' Top 25 Preseason Poll released by the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.
The Lady Rams started the match up 3-0 after earning default wins at No. 3 doubles (Kari Williams/Alana McDaniel), No. 5 singles (Williams) and No. 6 singles (McDaniel).
In doubles, Zelie Pfeiffer and Rachel Hartley teamed up for an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles, while Claudia Borges and Nancy Machen fell 4-8 at No. 2.
Borges won 6-4, 6-0 at No. 1 singles, Machen fell 5-7, 0-6 at No. 2 singles, Hartley prevailed 6-1, 6-0 at No. 3 singles and Pfeiffer cruised 6-1, 6-0 at No. 4 singles.
Mobile (2-0, 1-0) hosts Stillman College Saturday, Feb. 20 at 10 am.
Mobile received 136 points in the poll, only one behind 18th-ranked Shorter College and four more than 20th-ranked Oklahoma Baptist University. Fellow Gulf Coast Athletic Conference member Xavier University is ranked 21st, while Auburn University-Montgomery holds down the top spot.
- Zelie Pfeiffer/Rachel Hartley (UM) def. Sunny Willoughby/Jazmine Scott (TU) 8-3
- Constanza Aranda/Shaneka Knight (TU) def. Claudia Borges/Nancy Machen (UM) 8-4
- Kari Williams/Alana McDaniel (UM) won by default
- Borges (UM) def. Knight (TU) 6-4, 6-0
- Aranda (TU) def. Machen (UM) 7-5, 6-0
- Hartley (UM) def. Willoughby (TU) 6-1, 6-0
- Pfeiffer (UM) def. Scott (TU) 6-1, 6-0
- Williams (UM) won by default
- 6. McDaniel (UM) won by default